The death of Dido
this small piece(?) was inspired by the poem "The Death of Dido" by Virgil. Hope you guys like it...
Looking blankly at the horizon, that horizon from where he came and left, I noticed a burning light. I stare at it and I gently squeeze a small round object closely to my heart. I blink back the tears that were starting to form in my eyes. I breathe deeply and slowly make my way along the beach; towards that light... it was time. I felt the heat getting stronger as i was getting nearer, and yet I did not feel an ounce of fear. I knew it was going to happen; it came sooner than i expected, but it was expected nonetheless.
As I walked the path towards that light, that inviting and scorching light, I saw the people who have gone in and out of my life. Was I hallucinating? Nay, I was not. I see people who I have shared my life with, people who have given their trust and faith in me. And yet I have disappointed them. I see them crying, frowning, showing their disapproving looks at me. Nay, I do not see them mourning for me, I don't deserve their pity or tears. I don't deserve any emotion, nor do I want any from them.
Tears start streaming down my face as I grow nearer to those flames. I breathe deeply once more, and gather up my courage. I gently close my eyes and walk into the devouring flames of my funeral pyre, his and mine. They start to set my clothes aflame. His had turned into ashes, for they were the first to burn. I tightly close my eyes and firmly clasp that small object, as I feel the searing pain of the flesh. I stiffly held my lips to prevent the scream of agony, as the flames engulf me. This agony I can take. The hurt of the flame is nothing compared to anguish and bitterness I feel in my heart right now. This suffering is only temporary, as compared to the lifetime that I will live without him.
Gradually, I felt my spirit going out of my body, but still i hold on that small object. My spirit that has held on to this world long enough is finally breaking its shackles. I can clearly feel my soul trying to free itself from the bondage of my physical remains. I breathe one last breath let myself go. My soul, finally released from its chains of the world, floats around still staring at the fire.
Looking my charred remains, I clearly see my hands still clasping that object. And as the flames eat at my body, the ring, which I so tenderly held against my heart, started to melt. It turns into a small pool of silver, and slowly disappears from my sight. There is nothing left here for me now. It is time for me to go.
I close my eyes once more and feel a sudden burst of sea breeze. She has come to greet me, the sea, my beloved sea. I smile slowly and float away to join the myst of the sea. She welcomes me with open arms, and willingly I go into them. I look one last time at the pyre and bid a final farewell to my old world. And ever so softly I disappear with the breeze that my sea has given me.
As I walked the path towards that light, that inviting and scorching light, I saw the people who have gone in and out of my life. Was I hallucinating? Nay, I was not. I see people who I have shared my life with, people who have given their trust and faith in me. And yet I have disappointed them. I see them crying, frowning, showing their disapproving looks at me. Nay, I do not see them mourning for me, I don't deserve their pity or tears. I don't deserve any emotion, nor do I want any from them.
Tears start streaming down my face as I grow nearer to those flames. I breathe deeply once more, and gather up my courage. I gently close my eyes and walk into the devouring flames of my funeral pyre, his and mine. They start to set my clothes aflame. His had turned into ashes, for they were the first to burn. I tightly close my eyes and firmly clasp that small object, as I feel the searing pain of the flesh. I stiffly held my lips to prevent the scream of agony, as the flames engulf me. This agony I can take. The hurt of the flame is nothing compared to anguish and bitterness I feel in my heart right now. This suffering is only temporary, as compared to the lifetime that I will live without him.
Gradually, I felt my spirit going out of my body, but still i hold on that small object. My spirit that has held on to this world long enough is finally breaking its shackles. I can clearly feel my soul trying to free itself from the bondage of my physical remains. I breathe one last breath let myself go. My soul, finally released from its chains of the world, floats around still staring at the fire.
Looking my charred remains, I clearly see my hands still clasping that object. And as the flames eat at my body, the ring, which I so tenderly held against my heart, started to melt. It turns into a small pool of silver, and slowly disappears from my sight. There is nothing left here for me now. It is time for me to go.
I close my eyes once more and feel a sudden burst of sea breeze. She has come to greet me, the sea, my beloved sea. I smile slowly and float away to join the myst of the sea. She welcomes me with open arms, and willingly I go into them. I look one last time at the pyre and bid a final farewell to my old world. And ever so softly I disappear with the breeze that my sea has given me.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home